High
in Uttarakhand mountains, in a little hamlet situated in seclusion of one kilometer
steep climb from the nearest road, a native Bhutia
dog has reached the ripe age of twenty. Earlier it was a common dog owned by
the entire hamlet. A common asset for vigilance against langoors and bears tearing the bark of apple trees. But for the
last two or three years it has stayed at my friend’s house. Almost blind, most
of the teeth gone, stiff weak joints. The dog has become a perfect
representative for old age.
They
say that for the last few seasons they have been expecting the old dog to call
it a day. It would appear almost dying. But it has always sprung a surprise by
coming back to life. They say the reason for this is that the dog has a good
appetite and doesn’t stop eating even when it looks taking its last breaths.
The black dog with rheumy eyes and long shabby fur soaks sunrays during the day
and gives a proof of its good digestion by eating thrice a day.
They
have another dog, a golden retriever. It’s very moody about eating and is all
focused on playing and socializing. The old dog keeps sleeping even while the young
one is jumping over it. In human terms, it’s as old as someone at least 125 years
old or even more than that. I’m saying him bye, ‘Please be here when I come
back again!’ The old dog can’t see properly. The old canine gentleman looks
deeply at me, and having failed to see me clearly with its almost blind eyes,
twitches its muzzle to smell the sense of what I say. It then shakes it old,
bushy tail. Maybe it understood what I said and felt happy about it. Again it
raises its muzzle in my direction and inhales the smell of the well-wisher who
is expecting it to survive another season. Maybe it has clearly understood what
I’m saying. I won’t be surprised if it understands human language after
spending two decades with them.
My
friend’s wife laughs loudly to hear my wishes for the old dog. But she is very
positive about her responsibilities and I’m sure the old dog will get proper
care as long as it is alive.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Kindly feel free to give your feedback on the posts.