Being an avid Bond fan, I once thought of
writing him a letter—a real handwritten one posted through the traditional
mail. Just the typical Ruskin Bond image sitting and looking from his window
for inspiration is enough to lighten my being. He has written for fifty years
from the same spot. What stability! I usually go to bed after reading some
pages from his collections. It makes the world feel so simple beyond all
complexities. Long time back I almost met him. Well, that is a good story in
itself. Recently I thought of acting on my resolution of writing him a letter—a
real handwritten one—and post it with one of my books. I’m scarcely confident
about my handwriting but here I wrote carefully like a secondary school boy.
The letter was never posted. The other day I saw it in the sheaf of papers and thinking
of doing it some justice I reproduce it here:
Dear Bond Sahib,
Hope your cutely funny bone is still
strong enough to help you keep going on the literary path. We need it. I’m an
old man—into my fifth decade—pretending to be a child in my excitement while
writing to one of my favorite authors.
I have seen you once in real life. In
fact we had a short talk. It was in the autumn of 2006 or 2007. I climbed up the
hill to reach your place, Ivy Cottage. And what a timing it was in terms of my
arrival! There you were at your favorite window, restfully looking into the
misty distances in the valley below. I’m an uncouth person—almost. I startled
you by hollering some crazy fan lines from the road below. I hardly knew what I
was shouting in childish nervous excitement. But I remember I had also piped,
‘Thanks for giving us so much lovely literature sir!’ Well, this I clearly
remember. Probably it got you out of the marveling eerie born of my muddle-headed
verbal volley from below. You were generous enough not to pour water on me.
‘Come sometime when I’m free,’ you gently said. How I wish I was some butterfly
or a sparrow and land on your window sill to find out if you are free!
Well
guys, the unsent incomplete letter carries a strange sad charm. Isn’t it?
Recently
I thought of giving it a try to meet Bond Sahib. I plan to stay at Mussoorie
for a couple of days and try my luck.
I’m
walking on the Mall Road looking for a suitable accommodation. Something
catches my attention. A glimmer of hope. It’s a small hotel named ‘Write Star’.
Very attractive name so I go in. Something in celebration of writers, a rarity.
And a writer looking to spend a night would obviously go to a hotel named as
such. The boy at the reception has watery eyes and a guilty startled look,
possibly due to being new to the job. I enter the tiniest lobby, hailing their
naming sense in hyperbolic terms. But my enthusiasm startles him even more. After
he uses all his brain to make a sense of my congratulating eulogy for their
name, he manages to say, ‘Yes sir, Bright
Star is a good name.’
Well,
he thought they are named Bright Star! My mood dampened and I came out and
started to walk up the Mall Road. I intended to stay very near to Bond Sahib’s residence,
popularly known as Ivy cottage, to maximize my chances of spotting him.
It was
a literary pilgrimage from Library Chowk to Ivy cottage, Landour on Lal Tibba
hill. As I said I made it a goal to at least see the literary prince of the
famous hill station, if not meet him personally. He is ninety and deserves to
spend his time in the way he deems fit. So I thought of basing myself at some
modest hotel in Landour Bazaar, a little down the hill from his residence.
Packed like a mule I walked almost 6 km uphill, panting and exhausted. When was
meeting with famous writers easy?
There
I stood on the narrow road by the famous cottage whose window overlooking the
Doon valley has opened so many pages of simple, beautiful stories, notes and
sketches. From the frustrating chaos, Ruskin Bond, with his famous ease and
poise in life, draws our simple, charming, funny, witty strands to spin
lovingly flowing threads of simple words, which he uses to weave beautiful
stories. He makes life look so easy and tolerable. In fact reading him at
bedtime is almost healing in nature. It calms down your nerves. After a hard
day his words have provided balmy support during cold, dreary nights. I feel
like thanking him personally.
His
house has changed a lot since the last time I remember it. It’s gratifying to
see a writer’s economic fate taking a healthy shape. Ivy cottage looks very
impressive now with new front tiling and fresh paint. I think they have added
another floor. It looks a safe and happy place, solid and equipped to shelter
and protect an old writer and his adopted family. It has a solid roofing now,
in contrast to the corrugated tin roof that had given in on a stormy night,
pouring water into his study. Now there were more impressive windows looking
into the misty valley below.
Right
in front of his house I had a brief talk a man whom I found sitting by the road
on the bend. He turned out to be a kabadi
wala. He tells me that he gets an opportunity to go to his study to collect
old newspapers and other paper waste that he might consider to discard. He
tells me that Ruskin sahab is still
in possession of sharp wits and can walk enough to attend to his private needs.
The
narrow, steep staircase ascending right from the road seems inviting. But as
you crawl up to the small landing and look at the main door, a quite,
respectful message on a plaque softly whispers to you to protect his privacy by
not buzzing the doorbell. I hardly stand a chance of getting admitted. Then a
group of about ten young men, fresh-faced collegiates, appeared on the scene. As
the college boys enquired about meeting him, I sensed my chance of sneaking
with them. He is children’s and young boys’ and girls’ favorite author. I think
maybe he will oblige these young flowers. So I encouraged them to queue up on
the stairs and somehow pluck out a chance to go inside. I positioned myself in
the middle of the line so as to troop in with the young students.
They
were well-behaved boys, lovers of books; not the ones who arrive here on
thundering bikes with flashy girlfriends sticking to their backs and then go on
to loosen the bed hinges in cheap hotels, spurting stains on the bed sheets,
filling the waste bins with used condoms. I think in entire Mussoorie that day
these were the ten odd boys, well behaved and lovers of books who came to meet
Ruskin Bond. I am sure all of them will do well in their lives.
‘Please
don’t ring the bell’—we are staring at the request. The polite author is still
better in not putting a warning sign such as ‘Beware of dogs!’ They are decent
boys. Reading the plaque none of them dares to break the rule and press the doorbell.
We were whispering encouragement to each other to give a slight knock at the
door instead. That won’t break the rule written on the plate. Then their maid
came upstairs, squeezing through the crowded stairs. She was visibly irritated.
Who would take the extra trouble of attending almost a dozen uninvited guests?
She went inside carrying our request to at least see him from a little distance
and just pass greetings.
She
returned after a moment and told us that Mr. Bond was away. He was at Dehradun
for his grandson’s birthday and would be available at Cambridge school on
Saturday. We were knocking at his door on a Sunday—long way off the mark. But
the boys had their fan moments, a very diluted one though. I talked to them as
the self-published author of about 20 books. Since they were already in that
fan mode, they readily accepted my writer status. We held a little discussion
about the pleasure of reading. I gave them tips about writing and shared my
favorite books and authors with them. They even took a selfie with me.
Ruskin
Bond’s house on Lal Tibba hill is a great literary landmark at the crest of the
queen of hills, Mussoorie. Having read many of his books, I could easily
identify the places that have inspired his stories. So wandering through Landour
bazaar, clock tower, church, post office, camel back road and cemetery gave me
a surreal feeling of being in his tales personally for the next two days. It’s
sad that I couldn’t see him at least. Although his maid says he is in Dehradun,
but maybe he was chuckling from behind the door while he passed this innocent
lie. But it was nice to have a feel of the places that have inspired the
stories of one of India’s greatest and most admired living writers. Well, as I
said, 18 years ago he had dodged me when I had caught him sitting in his famous
window. It was a smaller world then. Mussoorie was far less crowed. His house
looked pretty ordinary. And when I harked his attention he mischievously said,
‘Come sometime when I’m free.’ Well there is always another time and I’m
hopeful.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Kindly feel free to give your feedback on the posts.