He is
sitting with a smug expression; in full acceptance of one’s situation, which
brings restfulness to life quite naturally. He is sitting on the roof of the
tall new house of my neighbor overlooking my low but resolutely sprawled out
old country house. Looking down upon me, eh! The world below is busy with
routine exhaustless rambling. Despite the unrestrainable threads of mischief in
his species’ DNA, he hasn’t yet broken the terms of ceasefire. No slimy gamut
of mischief in my garden from his side; no detestable shouts at his mere sight
from my side. Both sides contributing their respective share to peace. The best
part about investing in peace is that it gets you the handsome most returns.
He is
all focus at some point on the distant roofs. Men will be men—he is either
eying a lady or some rival. I offer him a fresh ghee-smitten chapatti on the
window slab of my terrace room. He looks at it just once and continues with his
stare at the more coveted objects. My ego feels bruised and lacerated. Peace is
very fragile and ego a hard stone. But I would advise one to keep its glass
façade because it allows lovely sunshine into the room of your existence. So
one ought to pay even extra to maintain peace. It will still be better than breaking
the glass and again revamp, replenish and reconstitute the entire façade. So I
quash the germs of malignity, gulp down insult and move from the place, feeling
bad that he doesn’t even look at my gift. ‘Maybe he isn’t hungry,’ I think.
I return
a few minutes later to take away the chapatti so that the visiting feral cat
could have it. There he comes hurriedly but with confident ease. I stand at a
little distance. He still keeps the ceasefire and doesn’t snarl or growl. I
stand hospitably and he takes away the chapatti as if it was his right and my
duty. I think he is just putting up attitude, thinking that if he instantly
jumped to my offer, he will appear like a beggar. So he takes it in a very
casual way; as if it doesn’t matter to him at all. This is what I term as attitude.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Kindly feel free to give your feedback on the posts.