I go
and pick-up my niece from the university hostel over the weekends. The last
spring was a special one on the campus. The head gardener was a man who loved
his job—the result was a beautiful flowery world; rows and rows of healthy,
well-cared flowers. The flowers danced, smiled, grew old and died under the
merciless April sun that followed the short north Indian spring.
I
picked up many varieties of dry flowers to store and use them as seeds during
the next season. My little garden is overloaded with plants and trees. The only
space available was in the pots of rose plants, about a dozen of them. This
January I mixed the seeds with soil and dung manure and layered them in the
pots having single rose plants. There they came out heralding a lovely spring.
Hundreds
of chamomiles, a daisy like small flower with little white petals around a
yellow core, waved at me in February and March. Chamomile is a lovely flower,
which is used as flavoring agent in food and beverages. There were so many of
them in the crowded little space in the pots. The space was limited but they
gave their best. They couldn’t grow to full length but even the tiniest ones
among them smiled and offered a flower to some lone bee or butterfly. The chamomiles
had beaten all other varieties to bloom as a colony.
The
present university gardener doesn’t seem too sincere about his job as can be
guessed from the absence of flowers save for some marigolds. I think the
chamomile angels attracted the fancy of a poet and carried the survival of
their colony in his little yard. I saw some honeybees among the chamomiles. At
least some tiny honeycomb somewhere not too far!
The
chamomiles dazzled for almost two months and died under hot April sun, their
withering looks asking me to preserve their seeds for the next season. I did as
asked.
I pull
out the dry stalks carefully avoiding injuring the stunted growth of gaillardia grandiflora (blanket flower)
which had been trying to seek a way out of the dense crop of chamomiles. There
we have the runner up. A few green leafy sprouts of blanket flowers now growing
hurriedly to make the most of whatever the season has to offer. Their soft
leafy sprouts had been struggling to come out and kiss the air above and dazzle
their smiles.
Within
a week of the clearing around them one of them smiled its ornamental orange red
smile. So they occupy the second position. It’s a hybrid plant in the sunflower
family. I have put the pots under the shade to allow dozens of them to smile
even in this heat. These are brave flowers.
I hope
some lone flower of some other variety will also blossom up to claim the third
position. Sometimes just being there earns you a standing among the top three.
So come on you some lone ranger, plow your way up!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Kindly feel free to give your feedback on the posts.