Bhola
Rikiyasan is the sole Buddhist monk among hundreds of Hindu mendicants at the
pilgrimage town. He stands out quite naturally with his separate religious
identity. The other day he said to the group of saffron-clad sadhus around him that all of you are
not at peace and that’s why you people are wandering around. An argument
started, turned into a brawl and soon it would have changed to a fist fight,
from the side of Hindu friars of course who looked very spirited to defend
their dharma. A Hindu mauni baba negotiated
peace with his loving presence.
Rikiyasan
is from Gaya. He was a Shiva devotee for 26 years, felt stuck up on the path
and converted to Buddhism six years back. Maybe that’s the reason the Hindu babas dislike him. Religious conversion
is a serious issue in India. But look at the great syncretic tradition of
India, he still has Bhola, Shiva’s name, in his official name. Well, he is 75 years
old—I have to check his ID to confirm it because he doesn’t look three-quarters
of a century old from any angle.
‘One
meal a day and meditation to calm the mind are the reasons for it,’ he says. He
looks at peace and joyful about life. I see a thick wad of money in his wallet
as he stuffs ten rupees just offered to him by a man. ‘Just ten rupee notes.
Won’t count for much!’ he laughs. ‘I’m collecting money for making a little
Buddha shrine at my village,’ he justifies his collection. Well, all of us are
after money for our reasons and I have talked to hundreds of sadhus in this regard. Most of them are
after money to make ashrams and temples. The householders are after it for
building houses and buying cars. I hardly see any qualitative difference
between the two.
A
couple of days ago he was bitten by a dog in the wee hours as he was walking in
the street after taking a bath in Ma Ganga. A few hours after the painful bite
I found him standing desolate at his corner with his brass begging bowl. He had
tied a strip of cloth on the wound. The cloth was all bloody. It was a big
bite. I hope his Hindu baba
adversaries didn’t set a dog after him. I go to the small charity hospital run
by a prominent ashram to seek help for him. They inform me that there is no
anti-rabies vaccination available at their place. To get it one has to go to
the government hospital a few kilometers away on the opposite bank.
I come
back and tell him to walk to Ram Jhoola—it’s just 50 meters from where he is
sitting—and take an auto to go to the hospital. He says he will prefer to walk
towards the other bridge, Janaki bridge, almost a kilometer down the stream
because if he goes from here the auto would charge 50 rupees and from there it
will be only 10 rupees. But he can hardly walk. I understand that he would
delay his treatment because he is in pain and can barely walk. And one needs
vaccination at the earliest after the bite.
I
wonder, why would he still bother so much about money even in such a situation.
Well, I think baba or no baba, money is a big issue in the world.
And like ordinary householders, the babas
have every right to think that it’s their hard-earned money because they have
to stand throughout the day to get alms.
Since he
needs vaccination so I hire a scooty to take him to the government hospital,
requesting the scooty guy to take him to the concerned block and guide him
through the process. By this time he is in much pain and looks all ready to
shed this miserable body. ‘I would be good if I die. It seems this poor body needs
to be shed!’ he looks depressed, sad and sullen. I say an encouraging bye as
the rental scooty takes him away through the crowd.
The
next day I find him all freshened up with three anti-rabies injections, one on
his left chuttar (as he puts it with
a feeling of insult and pain) and one each on both arms. But the urge to live
and be joyful and meditate has returned. He looks contended and at peace with
life. I advise him to carry a stick. Maybe that can help him in religious
debates and brawls with Hindu babas
as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Kindly feel free to give your feedback on the posts.